Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Season is Here

Most fans, players, parents and coaches can't wait for this time of year. Basketball Season is to live for. Right now it's raining with the wind blowing hard making indoors the place to be. Nothing like being inside a gym during these conditions. Excited to see happy people dressed warm cheering for their teams. Chili Dogs, nachos and real salty pop corn in the air. I can skip a hot dog at a game,but chili dogs get me every time. Gotta have one.
Here in Eureka, middle school girls basketball season is over. I attended over a dozen of those games. Looks to be a few stars in the making.
My son is in the 7th grade and his team has been practicing every day. Next week is a practice game and following week begins league. Can't wait.
Already, I've seen a couple Men's and Women's games at Humboldt State University and a game apiece at College of the Redwoods. Caught a few JV Girls games at local high schools, some boys Varsity Tournaments and a little bit of girls varsity games. It's been busy driving from gym to gym. Hectic but fun.
I devote most my time watching JV girls play at the moment, that's the level of basketball I'll be coaching in 2010. The Humbolts Team will resume the last week of February playing local and traveling as an AAU Club.
Yes, I admit, I've been scouting my own players. Liking what I see for the most part there are some areas needing to be addressed. New offenses are in place that can be confusing to some. That will come along. Basic fundamentals have been lacking a little and I'm hoping as the season can progress, they work out those kinks. Watching some of the other teams are the same. A little time everyone will begin to jell, I'm sure. Been some stars too, many recieving MVP and All Tourney Awards.
Last year I assisted with my son's 6th grade team and we put together an AAU club for 10 games locally. I'm considering doing it again for the local league only.
With the girls, I have one concern. This will be the year some of the players get drivers licences. I worry about that. In the past I lost players to the independance of driving. Some will want jobs.
Some will take on too much to make room for AAU basketball. It's at this point when a player makes the big decision. The first drivers licence brings along that false sense of maturity.
You know what I mean..."Bye Mom, I'm off to live my life...back at 11." As a teenager I abused my option to drive. Came home late. Any excuse is a lame one when operating something that gives you the sense of freedom. The car becomes worthless when your keys are grounded.
I've got a pretty level headed bunch. We'll have a team regardless.
SEE YA ALL AT THE GAMES.

No comments: